Info Desperately Needed!!! - Where Can't a dog go?

An area to discuss general issues concerning Lowand Search Dogs

Info Desperately Needed!!! - Where Can't a dog go?

Postby Mojo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Is there any situation in which you wouldn't put a dog into?

Also on a risk assessment side of things, would a dog and handler require seperate risk assessments or would you use a generic risk assessment and ask the handler to risk assess on-scene?
Mojo

Re: Info Desperately Needed!!!

Postby Daryl » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Yes

You wouldn't use a dog for two reasons;

1 - its not safe to do so eg roads, cliffs, railway lines etc
2 - there is a disadvantage to use a dog. eg highly populated area such as a family picknick spot on a bank holiday monday lunch time

You may have to create a seperate risk assessment for a dog team as you will have to concider different hazarda and control measures for a dog, however a handler should be able to complete a dynamic risk assessment.

The sort of person that I would allow to become a handler should be of a similar level to that of a team leader.

Hope this sort of helps.
Daryl Toogood
President
Berkshire Search & Rescue Dogs

"I can explain it in Dog, but you only listen in Human."
-- Gaspode the wonder dog
Daryl

Re: Info Desperately Needed!!!

Postby Mojo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks Daryl (sorry about before - back with it now ish [unsure] )

I can understand bout the railways, etc. If I understand it correct, your last comment bout bank holidays - is that because the dogs are 'air-scenting' and they would cause too many variables? Therefore the dog can't 'air-scent' accordingly?

Up to now, those who want/shown an interest in the dog team, are mainly Team Leaders/Party Leaders (ALSAR/MRC world!) and therefore is an advantage to us, but we do have a newbie Search Tech interested - so I'll try and work with her to get up to Team Leader status when she comes back.

I'll sort out the risk assessments asap, I have just up-dated the main risk assessments so it shouldn't take me too long - is there anything specific that I need to look at?

BTP sort the railway stuff out, so thats never an option up here - cliff faces/steep drops are potentially a problem but we do try an have available our Technical Rescue Teams for them. I take it if I suggested to a handler to search an area thats not suitable, they would let me know?

Sorry, another question - do we need to keep records for the dogs vet visits, why, when, where and what for and if so how can this be documented correctly?
Mojo

Return to Lowland Search Dogs