CONGRATULATIONS - K9 Search & Rescue Technician Course

An area to discuss general issues concerning Lowand Search Dogs

Re: CONGRATULATIONS - K9 Search & Rescue Technician Course

Postby Robert Bradley » Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Congratulations to all those that passed the course and welcome to the lowland search community.

With regard to the comments about the legitimacy of the course - as stated previously ALSAR only sets a minimum syllabus and standard, and minimum levels of competence for the instructors; ALSAR does not accredite any search course - this is up to the team or organisation running the course.

As an ex-ALSAR training officer, however, I can certainly verify Daryl's competence to run such a course and whilst I personally feel that all LSDog searchers would benefit from taking search courses alongside ALSAR trainees and have any "search dog" knowledge given as additional training at a later date within their team, I would be confident that any individual passing this course would be as competent as any other ALSAR searcher.

If there is any further doubt as to the syllabus and/or accreditation/recognition of this course, however, I would be quite willing to "observe" the next one and give my opinion for what its worth... (although looking at some of the ugly mugs in the group shot, maybe not... :lol: )

With regard to the proposed changes mentioned, however, I have personal reservations with the idea of "distance learning packages" for search. Search is a very practical subject and whilst there is obviously a certain amount of theoretical input that must be given, in my belief it should be given alongside and within a practical course - probably in a similar fashion to what happened in this course and most other ALSAR courses.
Robert Bradley

Postby Mojo » Mon May 05, 2008 12:49 am

by Séamus....Cheers Mojo!

No problem honey. Love the photo, when we eventually get one sorted (that's when Joe doesn't have a blonde day and forget the camera!!!) I'll post one of our's through.

Of course that's if the screen doesn't crack first [laugh]

Take care and hope to see you soon

Mojo x
Mojo

Postby Daz Hagan » Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 am

Last edited by Daz Hagan on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daz Hagan

Postby Mojo » Mon May 05, 2008 1:17 am

Thanks Daz for your comments/concern's, they have been taken on-board.

We are an ALSAR Team (ALSAR Policies are coming out of my ear's at present!) but we are looking to have Team Members dual qual'd with ALSAR & LSDogs. We thought this was the best way forward, as not to promote elitism within the main team.

If you read my other post within Info Needed, you can see there I am asking as a Search Manager, for LSDog Team Rep's to advise in control! There seem's to be a major misunderstanding between ALSAR and LSDogs, however I am not debating on a live forum who is right and who is wrong. Were all here to do the same job, let's get on with it positively???

Let's all move forward to the future development of such courses and hopefully (call-out permitting, it would be lovely to work with you someday. [wink]

Mojo

EDIT 1 - Spelling Mistakes
Mojo

Postby Deborah » Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 pm

Congratulations to the organisers and particpants- well done and hope you celebrated. We run similar courses for our "foot team" & any new trainee dog handlers in Norfolk and if you need a place let me know and I will send dates when our next course is orgnaised. We try and hold them regularly as we recruit new members so that no one is kept waiting and while I cant promise a space we have been able to offer places to other units in the past. Our web site will also be updated with dates when the next one is organised www.norlsar.org.uk. D
Deborah

Postby lou » Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Well Done to all who passed this course.

May i say how great it is to read of such sucesses and that after a lot of years talking about such a course someone has finally managed to put one together and run it succesfully.

I was a little sadened to see people putting it down so quickly.

The posts already mande are correct in saying that any ALSAR course has to contain set sylabi and be taught by people with the relevant qualifications. This course did exaclty that and more. I for one would like to see more people go on these courses as they actually include not only the stuff ALSAR wants us to know (which i hasten to add, i think we should all learn) but also the stuff about dogs which, after all, is what most of us on here strive to be good at and to broaden our knowledge of.

Long may this learning trend continue and who can tell me when the next course is please???............

Lou x
lou

Postby Daz Hagan » Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 pm

Last edited by Daz Hagan on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daz Hagan

Postby Daryl » Thu May 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Just to confirm this was a Berks course and all of the instructors were from an ALSAR unit in the past.
Daryl Toogood
President
Berkshire Search & Rescue Dogs

"I can explain it in Dog, but you only listen in Human."
-- Gaspode the wonder dog
Daryl

Postby Mojo » Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Slightly going off topic - to a degree?!

Can I email the photo please to ALSAR for the MRC 75year celebration exhibition???

They are looking for photo's that reflect 'Lowland Search & Rescue' and I believe this is as good as an achievement as any??

Cheers all

Mojo x
Mojo

Postby Darren » Fri May 09, 2008 2:38 am

Mojo wrote:Slightly going off topic - to a degree?!

Can I email the photo please to ALSAR for the MRC 75year celebration exhibition???

They are looking for photo's that reflect 'Lowland Search & Rescue' and I believe this is as good as an achievement as any??

Cheers all

Mojo x

No problem. I'll email you a copy of the Berks team, the South Wales team and the joint one. Is there a size limit on your inbox as the one here is compressed to save bandwidth.

As the copyright holder I only give permission for use in the exhibition, not for general use by MRC with out my permission etc. etc. [smile]
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Lowland Search Dogs