megans training is coming on but no alert !

An area to discuss K9 Training - Tracking/Trailing issues

megans training is coming on but no alert !

Postby shane-uk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:58 pm

well guys i have been doing abit of training but have not managed to get megan to show an alert

here is a video of her

any ideas of how to get an alert would be useful

thanks
shane-uk

Re: megans training is coming on but no alert !

Postby lou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Looks nice. I would say there news to be a LOT more praise and reward at the misper before trying to bring an alert on.

She was too happy to wander away from the misper and loose interest for my liking. If a dog is obsessed with the person you will start to see natural behaviours coming out that can be shaped into an alert.

If she is going to be purely a ground scenting dog working on a line then if she will just stay with the misper your not going to miss it but if she finds then comes away as quickly as she did thats not so good.

Very nice though.
lou

Postby shane-uk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:50 pm

thanks lou

i will give it a try its still early days but i will keep trying :)
shane-uk

Postby niki » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:57 pm

For early days she is doing very well!

Just taje it slowly and dont try to run before you can walk though. We have all been guilty of it and had to go back a step or two.
Niki Toogood and Scrumpy
If you ever thought your dog can't count, try putting 3 dog biscuits in your pocket and only giving him 2!!!

http://www.puddyprints.com
niki

Postby shane-uk » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 pm

yeah i am going to try and get a reward for her maybe a squeaky toy or something just for training that the misper can give her when they are found and then once she gets used to the get the misper to hold off giving her the toy right away then work towards her waiting until i arrive with the toy as i am sure real mispers dont carry squeaky toys to search dogs to play with [nowink]
shane-uk

Postby rich&sassy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm

shane-uk wrote: as i am sure real mispers dont carry squeaky toys to search dogs to play with [nowink]

Wish they did - my dog would be world champion if everyone carried squeaky tennis balls.......! [biggrin] [wink]
rich&sassy

Return to K9 Training - Tracking/Trailing