Paying a professional trainer?

An area to talk about general SAR training
Forum rules
Please Read the Forum Rules Before Posting.

Paying a professional trainer?

Postby deve6641 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:25 am

Hi - I am from north Idaho and we are wondering what the protocols are when using a professional dog trainer to train your team? We have a lady who has trained and tested SAR / narcotics dogs with a specialty in HRD. She's also studied scent theory at Yale. She wants to work with us weekly and we want to be fair to her. What would be the right thing to do? Pay her gas and expenses? Pay her 1/2 time of what the going rate for her training is? Pay her full rates? Ask her to join and not pay her at all? I would love to hear what your groups are doing. Thanks!
deve6641

Re: Paying a professional trainer?

Postby mike » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:00 pm

The first thing that struck me was that you say "she wants to work with us weekly", let her work with you, if she isnt asking to be paid then dont worry about it. If she is asking to be paid then I would say that if she is having to tout for work then she cant be that good.
I have worked and trained dogs proffessionally since 1985 and wouldnt consider charging voluntary search teams if i went out training with them. If people like yourself are willing to give up your time and money to help others then so can I.

Mike
mike

Return to SAR Training